Lesson 6: BizKids Curriculum
Biz Kid$ is a national financial literacy initiative that teaches kids about money and business. The overall objective of Biz Kid$ is to engage young people and help them develop life skills in the areas of financial literacy and entrepreneurship. The initiative includes an Emmy award-winning television series, free classroom curriculum, outreach activities, and a website targeting kids 9 – 16 years old. It is the first national public television series promoting financial education for elementary through high school students and was created by the same team that produced “Bill Nye the Science Guy”.
Each Biz Kid$ episode shows kids how to make and manage money. To keep young viewers engaged, the series includes a fast-paced mix of direct education delivered by young actors, sketch comedies, and stories featuring real life young entrepreneurs. Biz Kid$ used the power of television to teach students how to use credit wisely and reinforces the importance of budgeting, saving, and giving back to the community.
BizKids is partially funded by Americas Credit Unions
A free curriculum is available for download for use by teachers and parents to use in classrooms, afterschool programs and at home. Each episode has a specially designed curriculum with activities, reviews and tests, all of which comply with the National Endowment for Financial Education standards. Seelect Biz Kids lesson plans will be available in Spanish.
Learn more about BizKids from the National Credit Union Foundation.
Teachers, parents, credit union staff and volunteers can use the financial education curriculum below.
The online curriculum includes instructions on how to teach Biz Kid$ lessons to children. Five core Biz Kid$ lesson plans in expanded formats in both English and Spanish. The curriculum below can be downloaded, unzipped, and then burned to CD for distribution. Included is CD label art that you can customize with your credit union’s logo.
Expanded Curriculum for Core Biz Kid$
An expanded set of lesson plans is available for five core episodes:
- What Can You Do With Money? (104)
- Taking Charge of Your Financial Future (106)
- How To Achieve Your Financial Goals (110)
- Budgeting Basics (116)
- Understanding Income and Expenses (123)
Download the bundled core lessons in English [5MB .zip file]
Download the bundled core lessons in Spanish [5MB .zip file]
Season One and Two Curricula
BizKids Complete Season One Curriculum [14MB .zip file]
BizKids Complete Season Two Curriculum [14MB .zip file]
Download Curriculum Files from Individual Episodes (in .zip format)
All individual episodes contain:
- Biz Terms
- Day One Questions
- Day Two Questions
- Materials Prep
- Family Activity Sheet
More lessons are available on the BizKids site.
- Lesson 101: What Is a Biz Kid?
- Lesson 102: What Is Money?
- Lesson 103: How Do You Get Money?
- Lesson 104: What Can You Do With Money?
- Lesson 105: Money Moves
- Lesson 106: Taking Charge of Your Financial Future
- Lesson 107: A Biz: What Is It?
- Lesson 108: How to Succeed in Biz-Ness by Really Trying!
- Lesson 109: Cash and Credit
- Lesson 110: How to Achieve Your Financial Goals
- Lesson 111: Don’t Blow Your Dough
- Lesson 112: Introducing Entrepreneurs
- Lesson 113: The Biz Kids Challenge
- Lesson 114: How to Be a Smart Consumer
- Lesson 115: Using Your Credit—Crazy or Compelling?
- Lesson 116: Budgeting Basics
- Lesson 117: Understanding Business Ethics
- Lesson 118: Saving and Investing for Your Future
- Lesson 119: A Closer Look at Careers [PDF]
- Lesson 120: The Global Economy
- Lesson 121: Bulls, Bears, and Financial Markets
- Lesson 122: Sell, Sell, Sell (The Science of Sales)
- Lesson 123: Understanding Income and Expenses
- Lesson 124: Building and Growing a Business
- Lesson 125: Understanding Your Paycheck
- Lesson 126: Social Entrepreneurs
For more bizkid$ stuff, visit BizKids.com